MIT Study Names Olin College World Leader in Engineering Education
What a dream school! Olin College creates what we at the CA Math & Science Challenge call sTEm “Active Learning Zones” — Hands-on Learning Labs in which students solve Technology and Engineering design problems by applying mathematics and their knowledge of scientific theory… never forgetting that technological “solutions” can create new problems.
“We consider ourselves to be a national educational design laboratory and this study encourages our faculty and students to continue to explore the frontiers of learning. We seek to serve as a proof-of-concept that change can happen in academia and as a catalyst to help others evolving their learning practices and culture.” — Olin College President, Richard K. Miller
“Among the pedagogical features shared by the current leaders in engineering education are:
- “multiple opportunities for hands-on, experiential learning,
- application of user-centered design principles
- partnerships with industry….
- multidisciplinary student-centered education that
- extends across and beyond traditional engineering disciplines and
- is anchored in issues of ethics and social responsibility.”